Apply for Canada’s Richest Dance Prize
Chrystal Dance Prize – Projects Opens Sept 10, 2019
Canada’s richest dance prize for international collaboration, the Chrystal Dance Prize, is again accepting proposals from dance artists, companies and collectives in Western Canada for 2020. The Chrystal Dance Prize – Projects supports exceptional dance research and/or creation between a Western Canadian dance artist, collectives or companies and an international dance artist or artists (interpreter or choreographer). Dance Victoria will award $30,000 in the Chrystal Dance Prize – Projects category. The prize money may be allocated across multiple projects or can be awarded for a single project.
Fast Facts About the Chrystal Dance Prize – Projects
- The Chrystal Dance Prize is generated from a bequest made by Dance Victoria patron, Dr. Betty “Chrystal” Kleiman, to the Victoria Foundation.
- Dance artists, companies and/or collectives applying for the prize must live or be headquartered in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia or the Yukon.
- The prize supports collaborative projects that involve Canadian artist(s) working with another dance artist (choreographer or interpreter) outside of Canada.
- The prize is open to any dance artist that has an established career or is currently active in a professional dance setting, has a body of work with a range of dance artists or companies, and is making application as an independent dance artist. Companies and collectives submitting proposals must also have a body of work and a history of commissioning work
- Applications are accepted from September 10, 2019 until October 15, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time.
- A committee of dance professionals is assembled each year to select the recipients.
The prize recipient(s) will also have the opportunity for a two-week residency at Dance Victoria Studios
Full Media Release available here.