Dance Days – It’ll Move You
From January 31 to February 9, 2020
Now in its 11th year, Dance Days – an annual city-wide festival in Victoria that celebrates all styles of dance, new choreography and diverse dance companies – is from January 31 to February 9, 2020.
Here’s five reasons why you want to be part of Dance Days 2020:
- New works by the west coast’s most innovative dancemakers: During Dance Days, Dance Victoria presents a curated selection of new works by exciting west coast artists. These Rough Cuts are open to the public, performed under work-lights, and include a discussion with the artists about the work they’ve shared. Seven choreographers will share work on January 31 (3:30 pm & 5:30 pm) and February 1 (2:00 pm, 4:00 pm & 6:00 pm) at Metro Studio Theatre (Quadra at Johnson): Helen Walkley; Alexis Fletcher and Andrew Bartee; Lindsay Delaronde and the Visible Bodies Movement Collective; Sujit Vaidya; Angela Mousseau and Kelly Hobson. The works explore a range of topics and themes: a memoir of a missing sibling; self-identity and disorientation; Indigenous stories of injustice and discovering oneself in the eyes of another. Performances are free with donations gratefully accepted to continue the development of new work. Because of the limited capacity of these events, patrons are asked to visit dancevictoria.com in early January, select the Dance Days tab and RSVP for each show. Dance Victoria will add your name to guest lists.
- Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo – the famous, all-male comic ballet company comes to the Royal Theatre on February 4 at 8:00 p.m. performing excerpts from Swan Lake and Go for Barocco inspired by Balanchine’s neoclassical Concerto Barocco. The Trocks are sure to be one of the most hilarious evenings of dance you’ll ever experience. Don’t be disappointed; this production is sure to sell out. Box Office: 250-386-6121 or dancevictoria.com
- Kidd Pivot’s dance theatre hybrid Revisor – Revisor premiered to wild acclaim in Vancouver selling out the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in February 2019. The newest creation by choreographer Crystal Pite and actor/playwright Jonathon Young pushes the ways dance and theatre intersect. Eight dancers embody the recorded dialogue of some of Canada’s finest actors in a plot that reinvests theatrical devices with anarchic absurdity and Pite’s wildly inventive choreography. Box Office: 250-386-6121 or dancevictoria.com
- Free dance classes all over town – That’s right! Ten days of free classes all over town in all kinds of styles offered by Greater Victoria dance and fitness studios and teachers. Ever wanted to try ballroom? eFunk? Ballet? Tap? Zumba? There’s something for everyone. Look for the online calendar of classes at dancevictoria.com in January 2020.
- Immersive dance discussions – Dance Victoria invites dance presenters from across Canada to attend Dance Days’ Rough Cuts and participate in a presenters’ roundtable discussion open to the public. Join presenters and local artists on February 1 at 11:15 am at the McPherson Playhouse lobby for a lively discussion on timely dance topics. Space is limited and participants must visit dancevictoria.com/dancedays in January and RSVP and join the conversation…