The Chrystal Dance Prize is generated from a substantial bequest made by Dance Victoria patron Dr. Betty “Chrystal” Kleiman to the Victoria Foundation. A committee of dance professionals is assembled each year to select the recipients.
The Chrystal Dance Prize is named for Dr. Betty “Chrystal” Kleiman whose bequest to the Victoria Foundation in 2009 created the prize that Dance Victoria awards on an annual basis. It was Chrystal’s desire that dance artists from western Canada have the opportunity to learn from and work with the best professionals in the world and that they bring these influences and new works back to Canada. A much-loved pediatrician in Victoria known for her extraordinary work with troubled youth, Kleiman was fiercely individual. She loved the arts and pursued interests in poetry, pottery, painting and dance. She was also an avid kayaker and environmentalist. One of her proudest achievements was getting arrested when she protested against the logging of Clayoquot Sound on Vancouver Island in 1993. The Chrystal Dance Prize is awarded to individual artists who share Chrystal’s generosity and passion for self-expression.
• Vanessa Goodman with Belinda McGuire (USA); Kidd Pivot (co-production support for its new production, Revisor, to be presented in Victoria, February 2020); Out Innerspace Dance Theatre (for the further development of its next full-length work Aftermath); Dancers of Damelahamid for the continued development of its new full-length work titled Minowin.
• TBA (Dance Student Winners)
• Wen Wei Wang with Gao Yan Jinzi (China)
• Kara Chan (Dance Student Winner)
• Daelik with Fabrice Ramalingom (France)
• Jung-Ah Chung with Kyeung-Eun Lee (South Korea)